Sunday, July 8, 2018

“My Festival Story” by Shauna Davis -- Festival of Trees Chair Woman

Shauna Davis 2018 Festival of Trees Chair Woman

 

On December 4th, 1975 my sister was run over by a truck in a cross walk.  She was rushed to Primary Children’s Hospital where expert doctors and staff were able to save her leg.  She had to lay in traction for several weeks to get her leg to heal and because of the traction, she wasn’t able to even leave her room.  At the hospital, Santa would visit her every day and ask her what she wanted for Christmas.  Every day, she would tell Santa that she just wanted to go home for Christmas. Her Christmas wish came true. On Christmas Eve, her Doctor stayed late and put my sister in a full body cast so she could be transported.  She couldn’t fit in any car, so my Grandfather asked Midvale City Ambulance to transport her home to us on Christmas Eve. It was our Christmas miracle and we were able to be together on Christmas.  


Shauna & Sister


The next year, at the age of 11, our family went to the Festival of Trees.  I was drawn to the beautiful trees, the service rendered and most of all the love.  I told my Mom I wanted to be a part of this!  I wanted to spend all of my money and time helping with Festival of Trees. I knew I wanted to help because of the amazing care that my sister had received from Primary Children’s Hospital.  

In 1984, my future Mother-in-law was the Chairwoman over Festival. Of course, I had to help because I was dating her cute son.  That’s when I decorated my first tree.  I’ve always loved saying that  “I married Festival of Trees”.  My first tree wasn’t the most elaborate tree but my heart was in it and I’ve definitely learned over the years how to decorate a tree!  I went on a committee at the age of 17 and served on Fran Fishes’ committee for several years.  After officially marrying into Festival, we moved out of the state for a few years and I sent items back to Festival.  
Shauna (far right) next to her Mother-in-law Festival Chairwoman, Thelma Davis


Eventually I moved back to Utah, where I served on Lois Peterson’s committee.  I started serving on the Executive Board in 2009.  I have served one year in Centerpieces, three years in Gingerbread and six years in Leadership.

One of the most touching things I have witnessed, is children coming into the board room with their hard earned nickels and pennies.  It’s touching to watch children recognize and know that they want to help.

Serving in leadership, I’ve seen “Festival Miracles” time and time again. I truly know that we have more help than the hands on this earth to be able to pull off such a miraculous event. 




No comments:

Post a Comment